Sunday, June 7, 2009

Egypt

Before I forget all about it, I just wanted to say a few words about our trip.

Unfortunately my dad came down with a stomach flu, the night we flew to Egypt. He had a fever, too. About thirty minutes before the plane was landing, they told us about their routine check up for fever. As the swine flu hasn't come to Egypt so far, they're trying everything to keep it outside their country. Of course a slight hit of panick arroused. Fortunately they didn't put the thermometer all the way into his ear or something, they let him go without even looking at him twice.

The resort we were staying at was really, really nice. It had about 5 different pools, which were really nice and the landscaping and hotel rooms were really neat, as well. As we had everything booked all inclusive, we could eat and drink all day and night long. They had a main restaurant with a pretty big buffet every morning, around lunch time and for dinner. You could also book a table in one of their "a la carte" restaurants (Asian, Italian, Mediterean, All around the World) for dinner. It was said, you can book that a day ahead between 10 and 11 am. I guess it actually went a little different though. Monday morning we wanted to book a table and they said, we can only have one on Friday.... they closed the restaurants down for 2 days (Wednesday and Thursday) and the only available slot was Friday night.

I have to say the food was so so... I guess for other people it was awsome food, but our family has some standards ;-) it's not like we don't eat things when we don't like them, but I guess with two cooks in the family and of course knowing a little bit about food as well, it wasn't all that. As for myself, I can eat those Arabic spices every once in a while, but by the third day I couldn't see it anymore. The thing is, that even when they tried to cook Asian or Italian, they added a little of these spices as well. Or maybe it was just the stomach flu, that influenced our tastes.

It is well known, that you should watch what you eat or drink in a country like Egypt. We did, but it hit my brother Daniel pretty bad on the third day. The doctor even had to come up to his room, as he wasn't even able to go to the bathroom by himself. They put him into the shower, gave him about two IV's and other meds and by the evening he was feeling a little better.
On the second day, I started to have stomach cramps every once in a while and by the third night, they developed into accute diarreah. The fourth day, my other brother Marius was ill. I was just really glad that Lucas and my Mom never got anything.

Lucas enjoyed all the sand on the beach, running around naked and the water of the ocean. We tried out one pool, but decided against it. Apparently they didn't believe in heating their pools, so all they did, was look nice. It was a little too cool for myself.

As the Red Sea is known for it's beautiful fish and corals, my dad and my brothers dived quite a few times. Unfortunately Daniel coulnd't join for a diving trip on a boat, as it was the day he was down in bed. But they also saw some pretty fishies at our beach. I was a little chicken and didn't snorkle. I used to love it, when I was younger, but nowadays I'm too scared.

Dinner time was around 7 pm. Usually that's Lucas' time to go night-night. I was glad that he went down for afternoon naps there. That way he was up until I went to bed, too. He was absolutely crazy about the mini disco they had going on around 8.30 pm. All the kids were singing and dancing. He was too shy to join them at first, he prefered watching them. But he warmed up pretty quick. He didn't really do what they did, but he ran around pretending he was dancing.

All in all it was an awsome vacation and we had some really good times. Thank you Mama and Papa again for this nice trip! Of course Brian was missing a lot!

No comments: